Dear Families and Colleagues,
Today's events in Uvalde, TX, where a school shooting killed 14 students and one educator by a 18 year old gunman hits at the core.
This incident at Robb Elementary School truly is devastating. We stand with the families, colleagues and community.
NPS has worked tirelessly to keep safety at the core of our mission. Working with the Norton Police Department, our two full time School Officers, and our professional development priorities that support school safety, I want to assure you of our constant attention to school safety.
I also want you to consider a quick read from the National Association of School Psychologists, "Talking to Children About Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers," as a great resource. Go to nasponline.org for information.
Our staff is well equipped to handle questions and the like. However, we maintain that a regular day is the best approach. If a child needs support, we have an outstanding group of counselors and psychologists readily available.
As a parent and as your Superintendent, I'm devastated by today's incident.
Be well and stay committed to our children, Dr. Baeta, Supt of NPS
- National Association of School Psychologists (NASP): School Violence Resources
- NASP: Talking to Children About Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers
- Child Development Institute: How to Talk to Kids About Violence
- Child Mind Institute: Helping Children Cope with Frightening News
- National Traumatic Stress Network: Tips for Parents on Media Coverage
- American Psychological Association: Helping Your Children Manage Distress in the Aftermath of a Shooting