Norton Middle School (NMS) has once again earned Spotlight School status from the New England League of Middle Schools (NELMS). NMS is one of only twenty-seven schools throughout New England to have earned this distinction.
The Spotlight process entails a rigorous review of a school through the submission of various documents, reviews of academic programs, and hosting a visiting team. On February 4, NELMS representatives spent the day at NMS shadowing students as well as interviewing staff, community members, and student groups.
According to NELMS, Spotlight Schools have "a record of effective teaching and learning for young adolescents and consistently implement middle level best practices." (www.nelms.org) NELMS has commended Norton Middle School on the following:
- A clear focus on the education of the whole child.
- A positive and vibrant school atmosphere.
- Collaborative leadership between administration and teacher leaders.
- An effective 1:1 digital learning environment.
- Utilization of a personalized student information system (Panorama) to inform student interventions.
- A variety of extracurricular activities that include numerous new and innovative clubs.
- A social emotional learning environment embedded in the culture of the school through the Lancers LEAD Be Kind, Be Respectful, Be Responsible and Be Better Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) initiative.
- A full-time school resource officer (SRO) that is connected to the student body.
- An immaculate and well maintained facility by dedicated personnel.
Click the link below to view the NMS Spotlight School website: