Where can you learn about Mental Health Resources in or near your community?
How can you access Mental Health Services?
Find answers at the William James College INTERFACE Referral Service.
William James College INTERFACE Referral Service works to increase awareness of mental health issues impacting children, families, and adults and to facilitate access to appropriate outpatient services. Visit our website for additional information and guides to help you throughout the process of seeking outpatient mental health services.
Call the INTERFACE Helpline at 1-888-244-6843 Monday-Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. to consult with a mental health professional about resources and/or receive personalized matched referrals.
1. Intake—When you call, you will speak with a resource and referral counselor to complete a confidential intake. You will be asked for information, including: email and phone number, your or your child’s concerns, insurance type, preferences around therapist characteristics and treatment modality, demographic information, as well as your available timeframes for appointments. The intake generally takes about 15-20 minutes. After the intake is completed, you will be assigned a case number to use with both INTERFACE and potential provider match(es). The case number is used to protect your confidentiality. At times we may provide additional or alternate information to callers in order to meet more immediate needs or safety concerns.
2. Making a match—Your resource and referral counselor will be in touch with you in the first few business days after your call to introduce themselves and to let you know that they are starting to search for providers. INTERFACE resource and referral counselors search for a match by utilizing the information provided at intake and our database of over 9,000 licensed and vetted providers located throughout the state.
3. Providing matches—Once a provider match has been identified, an INTERFACE resource and referral counselor will contact you to give you the provider’s name, credentials, location, and phone number. They will also provide links to guides on our website that may be helpful in the process of seeking services. We aim to provide at least one match as quickly as possible; however, at times it can take up to 3 weeks to find a match. Although we do our best to find matches with current availability, at times matches may include waitlist options, as matches are based both on the criteria shared at intake and the availability of resources.
4. Following-Up—After you have received the match(es), your resource and referral counselor will follow up with you within 1-2 weeks to see if you have been able to connect with the provider(s), and if so, how it is going. INTERFACE Referral Helpline works with you to ensure you have connected with a suitable match.
5. Closing a referral—Once there is a successful match, the INTERFACE resource and referral counselor will close the referral process with you. However, if you need additional support in the future for other referrals or if the match does not work out for some reason, please know that you can always call the Helpline again to determine the next steps in the process of finding a new provider.
The INTERFACE Referral Service Helpline is available to you Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm (excluding holidays). If we are experiencing high call volume or it is after hours, you will be asked to leave a message with your name, community of residence and phone number and we will return your call as soon as possible. If you are already working with us, please also note your case number. Please review our website at interface.williamjames.edu for additional information and for a complete list of the communities we currently serve.
What makes INTERFACE unique is that they do not provide merely a list of providers, but rather matched referrals to outpatient mental health professionals and practices from our database of over 9,000 licensed and vetted providers who best meet the caller’s concerns, insurance or fee requirement, preferences around therapist characteristics and treatment modality, location needs and available timeframes for appointments. INTERFACE aims to provide at least one match as quickly as possible; however, at times it can take up to 3 weeks to find a match. After providing referral matches, Resource and Referral Counselors contact callers within 1-2 weeks to see if the caller was able to connect with the provider(s), and if so, how it is going. INTERFACE Referral Helpline works with the caller to ensure they have connected with a suitable match. Once there is a successful match, the INTERFACE resource and referral counselor will close the referral process with the caller. However, if the caller needs additional support in the future for other referrals or if the match does not work out for some reason, please know that the caller can always call the Helpline again to determine the next steps in the process of finding a new provider.